Effect: This is a story of seven detectives chasing a murderer (the selected card).
1) Take any four of the same face cards out of the deck, (Kings make good detectives.)
2) Shuffle the deck and memorize the bottom card.
3) Spread the cards like a fan, and ask the spectator to take one.
4) Tell the spectator to look at the card, remember it, then place it on the top of the deck.
5) Ask the spectator to cut the deck.
6) Explain that the card they selected is a murderer and the four face cards you took out are detectives to find him.
7) Look through the deck, the selected card will be the next card after the bottom card you peeked at.
8) Place the four face cards so that they're sticking out of the deck about half way and in the order of: face card, original bottom card, face card, selected card, face card, card after selection, face card. Explain that the detectives are searching in those places.
9) Fold the deck back up and leave the four cards sticking out. Turn it on edge and hit the four cards against a table. The three alternate cards should pop up, with the selected one in the middle. Say the detectives called on these three guys to help them and show them to the spectator.
10) Take those three cards sticking up and hit them against the table; two face cards should pop up. Hit those against the table and the selected card should pop up.
Note: When hitting the cards against a table, hold the deck on the sides, not the face and back. Also, don't hold it too tight or your cards will bend and not work.
Next: The Sisters Trick
Previous: The Self-Arranging Deck